expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday 8 June 2015

Loom Weaving 101

Hi Woollies!

I've bought a loom! I saw some wonderful projects on Pinterest and I had to have one. Pinterest is amazing. I have straight-up spent hours and hours and hours just searching stuff for fun and pin, pin, pinning it. It has to be my favourite site - there's so much inspiration to be had on it. 


Anyway. Being helpful (and knowing what a yarn-aholic I am), my boss emailed me a link to a company  called Knit.Purl.Crochet that makes simple wooden looms and sometimes holds workshops for  weaving. Unfortunately, I missed the workshop (sad face), but the minute I clapped eyes on the loom, I knew I had to have it.

I remember weaving only once before, in Primary school. We made some cardboard looms and we used notches in the cardboard instead of pegs. I remember I really enjoyed it until I got very impatient (Quelle surprise!) and cut the ends off too early. So I ended up with a slightly shortened piece (!) that I was so upset about, I hid in a drawer for a month before my mother found it, pulled it out and declared it to be a truly wondrous creation, before using it as a plant pot holder. Moms are great when you're having a craft-life crisis (Thanks Mam!). I think it might even still be there, under one of many spider plants lining the hall. 


Thankfully, my confidence in my weaving ability was restored. But, like a lot of things, I haven't picked one up again in f-o-r-e-v-e-r - which seems strange, given my absolute obsession with textiles and woven art (on the wall, as a rug, on the sofa, on the bed...anywhere I have space, I'll hang one). So you can imagine how excited I was when my boss offered to pick one up for me on her next trip. Sold! 


Here is is opened up. I can't wait to get started...what colours do you think I should use? 


I'm about to rush off to a meeting in a new studio this morning, so I can't stay too long to play with it. If I have time, perhaps I can start my first 'grown-up' weaving soon (I don't want to think about how many years it's been since my first weaving experience :P). 

Hope you're having some sunshine today! xxx







Follow this blog with Bloglovin'

No comments :

Post a Comment