expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday 25 May 2015

ELMER SQUARES

It's been only a few weeks since I first discovered Stylecraft Special DK - but already I am head over heels in love. It is acrylic but I still feel that it's a lovely quality. It doesn't separate or thin easily, and it makes a lovely soft fabric. It comes in so many beautiful colours. So inexpensive. I can make anything I like and not feel guilty about how many projects I have half-finished waiting for me in my basket.



Yes, dear friends. I am a compulsive project-beginner and never-finisher. Unless it is very short and relatively quick to finish,  I've always had difficulty in maintaining my interest right through to the end of a project. **hangs head in shame**

This time, I promised myself - this time it will be different.

I was super inspired by the ever popular Lucy from Attic24 and her gorgeous creations. Despite the fact that I live in one of the most humid climates in the world (at the moment it's soaring to a nearly unbearable 80% humidity in HK) - and probably can't use my blanket for 10 months out of the year - I just can't shake the Irish out of me. I love wool. I love blankets. I love making things. I LOVE crafts. And I am DETERMINED to finally achieve my life-long ambition of finishing a whole entire blanket, just like my Mam.

I am not a patient person - but I sat on my hands and waited and waited and waited for my Stylecraft colour pack to arrive on my doorstep so I could begin. I was so excited!

 How swimmingly gorgeous are these colours? They make me soooooo happpyyyyyyyy.



I love how bright and cheerful they are. They made my little concrete patio look so much prettier.



I've been really inspired by this gorgeous 'Elmer' crochet squares blanket I saw on Little Tin Bird's blog, and now on a few others (Solid Granny Square Blanket by According to Matt and Lucy @Attic24's Granny Patchwork Blanket) and I just knew I wanted to make one of my own. I first began with some regular granny squares. It has been a few years since I last picked up a crochet hook. In fact, I always preferred to knit (despite the fact that I'm not actually very good at it). But this time, as soon as I picked up my hook, I was hooked.


I couldn't stop - square after square of hooky goodness in all of these beautiful colours were piling up all around me. I hooked on the ferry to work. I hooked during my breaks. I hooked all the way home and into the small hours. I could not get enough. And then, one evening, as I looked at my piles of squares, I began to feel that familiar feeling of dissatisfaction.


I liked my granny squares, but they just weren't doing it for me anymore. Do you see what I mean? I wanted a colour-rush of colours in my Elmer blanket. I decided I needed a 'break' to have a think about what was causing this sudden loss of interest in the project. So I began work on my stripey blanket inspired by , and my poor little Granny Squares lay forlorn at the bottom of my work basket...until I found myself stuck waiting for more yarn to arrive and not able to keep going on stripey, and idly looking through some of my favourite blogs for inspiration. And then! I thought about the solid block Elmer squares. Yes!


I followed Little Tin Bird's pattern - I just really loved how chunky and 'solid' looking her squares were (you can find her tutorial here). It took me a few tries to figure out where I was going with my joining stitches (and I ripped out one or two squares that were a little wonky)...but oh my!


How satisfying they are to look at. Look at those thick gorgeous chunks of colour! I'm in love <3



Don't the colours look beautiful on our little patio set? I love the weathered look of the wood underneath.




Today is climbing into the early 30s in HK, and the sun was out - so happy me dragged A out to help take some photos of my works in progress - I just couldn't wait for the finished reveal! But since these little beauties are so fast to work up, I don't think it will be long at all before I'm ready to attempt my first blanket-squares stitching up. So now, I guess it's a race to see which I can finish first (if I can keep my interest up!).

While I was at it, I thought I'd share another gratuitous shot (or two! or three!) of my Crochet Along Stripey Blanket in the sun. I couldn't resist - the pink and red colours are just so glorious in the sunlight. Oh, I love it. I really do.  I cannot wait to pick it up again when my next stash finally arrives. Hurrah!




What do you think? Hope you're enjoying the red-holiday weekend!


Lots of love! from








No comments :

Post a Comment